Thursday, May 22, 2008

Well. I have really done a shitty little job of keeping up with this. Here's where I think the problem came in: When I finally, after what seemed like days, finished my first entry, I went back and over-analyzed, scrutinized, and pored over the text, judging myself, thoughts, and writing beyond the point of ridiculousness. I deemed myself a blubbering idiot and decided to not return to the blog until I felt confident that I could turn things around. (I actually don't feel confident in that fact yet, but the only way to get to that point is to practice). Anthony has been a great help to me on this whole endeavor. He makes lots of suggestions, most of which are above and beyond my capacity, but they still reach me mentally and maybe somehow will push their way through. With that preface, I'll get back to the point, the most important point of this whole business. FOOD.

Obviously, in the however many days since my last entry, I have had many meals. I may have been on sabbatical from blogging, but that in no way means that my eating suffered. Instead of going back in time and doing a ridiculously long and dragging entry, I'm going to start by focusing on the present and the very very recent and most pertinent. Unfortunately I've decided to re-start this on the most boring of food days.

Today was boring because I worked at Joe's Inn, my restaurant, if I hadn't mentioned before, from 7:30 am- 2 and then again from 5- 10pm. This means that, unless I make concerted efforts, all of my meals will happen there. Did I make concerted efforts today, you may ask? No, not especially. This morning, I waited on a bunch of people eating their eggs with cheddar, and it looked so orange and vibrant contrasting with the baby yellow of the yolks, that I figured it had to be delicious. So, when I finally had a free moment I ordered an egg on a bun, on wheat toast, scrambled with CHEDDAR, spinach, mushrooms, and bacon. John Seymore made it up good for me in the kitchen and I was excited to realize that somehow I finally got a warm breakfast at Joe's Inn. Lately I've been feeling that every time I order, a parade of customers waltzes in and my food gets cold in my frenzy of work and bustling.

Which is worse? Cold eggs, or eggs without cheese? They both are bad but I'd have to say eggs without cheese. Regardless, I got warm eggs today, some could even say hot, but the cheese was lacking. Ryan is always talking up cheddar like it's God's gift, but you know what? God gave us American too and that, I believe, is what he wants us to put with eggs. I really need to stop basing everything I eat at work on what everyone else is eating and how good it looks. Looks can be deceiving. Not only a lesson in food, but a lesson in life. I think I also like soft bacon, but that's a whole other thing. In general, my breakfast was good. Toni, a coworker of mine, got a little wild this morning and was floating ideas around with me for a while until she settled on a grilled peanut butter sandwich with bacon. She said that 821 has a similar sandwich on their menu and I told her that I thought Elvis used to eat something like it. She gave me a bite, and I went in with an entirely open mind, but in the end I just tasted it for hours throughout the day and regretted it entirely. Later she told me that she added cold raw banana to it and that it really improved things. I think it would. I told her honey should have been involved and she agreed. I think it would have been a whole other thing. The bacon and the grease were just too overpowering for my blood. Also, it is my basic feeling that peanut butter is only good with sweets. Peanut butter and chocolate, peanut butter and nutella, peanut butter and marshmallow, peanut butter and apple, peanut butter and honey, peanut butter and jelly, etc. But enough about breakfast. (Note: I need to work on segueways).

After breakfast, I continued to have to work and drink coffee. I love drinking coffee in the mornings of working at Joe's Inn. I can have however much I want, whenever I want, with whatever I want. I can dump it out if it's cold. I can make it iced, I can have various cups of it set about throughout the restaurant. It's great. I love the whole drink system there. Sometimes I'l just take a souffle cup and fill it with dr. pepper and take it like a shooter. DP shots. Nothing better. Except club soda with lime and lemon squeezed generously. The other day Clair and Clancy and I were talking about our top 3 favorite drinks of all time. I thought top 5 was more practical but Clair insisted on only 3. My top 3 would be water, coffee, and red wine. Top five would be water, coffee, red wine, club soda, and dr. pepper. I'd really like to also be able to include apple juice, beer, bourbon, and tea. I also really like white hot chocolate.

Tank, in the kitchen, had a birthday mid-day and we all sang to him and there was ice cream cake involved. It was yummy. I wish I didn't oddly hate chocolate ice cream. It's such a travesty I feel. I was ashamed to even say it aloud today. I still ate it, so I guess I don't hate it that much, but something about it just bums me out. Luckily, this cake was tiered and there was chocolate ice cream at the bottom, then yummy little chocolate crunchies, then vanilla ice cream and white frosting. I ate the chocolate part first since it's my least fave, and then dove right into the crunchies. Those were delightful. Then I went home for a mini break, where I also, in a valiant effort to be healthy, rode my bike to ukrops for a big salad. It was basically a pound and a half of greenery. Spinach, broccoli, red and green peppers, edamame, cauliflower, celery, red cabbage, carrots, zucchini, cucumber, roasted pumpkin seeds, and craisins. Whenever I talk about getting a salad from ukrops this is what it consists of. I usually get these four times a week, give or take, just to make sure I get a good healthy dose of veggies. And of course, lots of fiber. I ate this salad for "lunch" at 5, when I got back to work. Work was boring, and when I finally got off, and felt like I had eaten pretty well for the entirety of the day. So, I decided to get something I have been denying myself for quite a while. Pizza. Wynter and I got a small greek pizza with light cheese, extra veggies, and no olives. I poured crushed red pepper all over it, a few dribbles of sririacha, and then spread a very very thin layer of ranch over it all with a butter knife. It was hot and delicious, soft and cheesy. Mmm mmm. I'm not sure that I can name any food better than pizza.

6 comments:

Mister Mr. said...

That made me REALLY hungry. All your romantic notions about ice cream crunchies, awkward relationship with chocolate ice cream, and use of the term edamame has convinced me that we are destined to be the best of friends.

I will now make myself a delicious hot egg and American sammich and listen to the Avett brothers.

Cheers.

samantha said...

I feel the same way about chocolate ice cream. Going by my feelings about ice cream and chocolate (which range from very favorable to extreme need to binge on large quantities) the logic says that I should really really love chocolate ice cream. But I don't, I feel it lacks in both the chocolate and ice cream department. I think it's because by themselves, chocolate and ice cream are already perfect beings and in order to successfully combine them, one needs to take special care by using really nice chocolate to make super creamy, delicious, flavor-intensive gelato or something like that.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful blog. This Anthony guy sounds really, really great.

Katie said...

sarah- this is magnificent. Thank you for bringing up the wonders of American cheese. May I add: especially Kraft Deli Deluxe--comes in a stack of slices-NOT individually wrapped. It is so good.
I just bought Ginger dressing, btw.

clothy said...

OMG! I'm freakin hungry now. I agree that the Lord wants us to eat our eggs with American cheese. However, I think you need more exposure to the wonders of peanut butter in combination with various salty treats in the mix, such as sliced dill pickles and/or potato chips. We can work on that together anytime.

Unknown said...

Are you not eating or just not writing?

I hope that latter, but neither is excusable.